Monday, January 31, 2011

Reactive Attachment Disorder in Infants & Todders?

While researching attachment and bonding, I came across the Infant Attachment Checklist, a 27-item measure used in the diagnosis of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) in infants and toddlers: 
  1. Cries; miserable all the time, chronically fussy
  2. Resists comforting or nurturance
  3. Resists or dislikes being held
  4. Poor eye contact or avoids eye contact
  5. Flat, lifeless affect (too quiet)
  6. Likes playpen or crib more than being held
  7. Rarely cries (overly good baby)
  8. Angry or rageful when cries
  9. Exceedingly demanding
  10. Looks sad or empty-eyed
  11. Delayed milestones (creeping, crawling, etc.)
  12. Stiffens or becomes rigid when held
  13. Likes to be in control
  14. Does not hold on when held (no reciprocal holding)
  15. When held chest to chest, faces away
  16. Doesn't like head touched (combed, washed)
  17. Generally unresponsive to parent
  18. Cries or rages when held beyond his wishes
  19. Overly independent play or makes no demands
  20. Reaches for others to hold him rather than parent
  21. Little or reduced verbal responsiveness
  22. Does not return smiles
  23. Shows very little imitative behavior
  24. Prefers Dad to Mom
  25. Gets in and out of parents lap frequently
  26. Physically restless when sleeping
  27. Does not react to pain (high pain tolerance)
I'm not sure how I feel about RAD diagnosed in infancy and toddlerhood. Personally, through hearing how I behaved during this period, I could check off several items on this list. I was a non-responsive baby. Originally, my foster mother sent me to the doctor twice because she felt I slept too much. After everything checked out the first time, she sought a second opinion. I was given several tests: thyroid, hearing, a metabolic screen, and an EEG. There was "some abnormality due to low amplitude of responses." But I could hear, the experts just didn't know how I responded the way I did. 


It will be interesting to see what future research discovers about infant bonding and attachment. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo retrieved from: http://www.janetlansbury.com/2010/03/rie-and-attachment-theory-why-earliest-relationships-matter-the-21st-annual-rie-conference-featuring-sir-richard-bowlby/

No comments:

Post a Comment